Thursday, May 14, 2009

Garden Update #1 & Other Stuff Too


Ooooooh, yeah, baby. Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Yes, those are what you think they are. Little tiny mater's! In just two weeks, my little plants have survived all the typhoons and rain and have begun to produce! Can't tell you how happy that makes my green, little heart. I know you are saying to yourself, so what? It's just a tomato.

Well, as you can remember in this post, last year was a umm, a rough year for our little tomato plants. In fact, even though we planted the buggers in April, out of 9 plants we got no tomatoes until October when the first frost came and stole what had started to grow. NONE. Yes, friends, I am ashamed to say that I have been known in the past as a tomato plant killer. Sigh...

Fortunately the tide seems to have changed this year and we have a great start to some healthy looking plants! Keep on keeping on, little babies!! Mama, wants some tomatoes!

Perri also decided she wanted to join the Green Thumb Society and plant a little flower garden of her own. A few weeks back our church gave the kids a packet of Cosmos seeds for the them to plant. We dug up a little corner of our backyard and let her put them there. BTW, the package said they grow 4 to 5 feet! Seriously!?!?! Should be fun to find out. Here she is showing off her little garden.



And here she is again, tolerating the fact that big brother wants to be in the picture, too. Notice her flared nostrils and expressionless eyes. Ya think there is some passive aggressiveness going on in this shot? Hmmm...


Here is my little drama queen sweet princess giving you her best and dramatic "this is my shovel and you can't have it" expression.

The child cracks me up, ya'll! Apparently God thought our family needed some drama when he chose to give her to us. Don't get me wrong, it's not the kind of drama from defiance or rebelliousness, it's the kind you get when you cross a Snow White movie with a Broadway musical. She lives in a totally different world than I do that includes talking to crickets and rescuing fallen leaves from being stepped on.

But, I love it. I love that she loves being a feminine, pink obsessed, stuff animal toting, twirly smocked dress wearing, little girl. She enjoys her childhood. I think all of my kids do. I am grateful for that!


Wow, I totally went off the path there didn't I?


Anyway, I better be off - I have TONS of housework to do. The Balentine Christian Academy officially closes for summer tomorrow and we are having an open house for the family to come see all that the kids have learned this year. I can't wait!

I also have a big surprise! SHHHHH!! It's a secret! But, I can't tell you what it is yet. NO. I am not pregnant you sick, sick person, you! :) You'll have to wait until Monday to find out!

Have a fabulous weekend!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Love them mators, sonya!! Woo hoo!!

Your princess is so fun! Girl you are SO fun! I know where she gets it from ;)

Can't wait for the surprise... ;)

maribeth said...

how much fun! i love the idea of an open house to celebrate the end of the year!

Jennie said...

Yeah!! A garden that's doing what it's supposed to be doing!!! Ours is looking good this year as well. I think having bummer years really makes me appreciate ANY fruit of the garden!

Can't wait for the secret!! :-) I think I know.....