Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Annual Christmas Pictures - Balentine Style

Alas, 'tis the season of Christmas carols and hot cocoa, evergreen trees and tinsel, stockings hung with care and ......the annual Balentine Christmas picture in front of the tree. We have done this year after year and then take the picture and put it in a frame ornament to hang on the tree to commemorate the year. It's always the same procedure: we come home from church, everyone is in a great mood and excited to get their picture taken! We set up the tripod, do a couple of adjustments to the camera and Viola!...A lovely picture...Oh, if it were only that easy.

Me: "OK, guys! Are we set?"

Them: "We are ready. "

Me: "OK. Now remember to sit still and put your best smile on when you see the red light start blinking. Ready?"

Them: "Yes, Mama. Is this gonna take long?"

Me: "Only as long as YOU make it take. Here we go! Smile!!!" (click)


Me: "OK! Not bad. Duglin - maybe sit up a bit and smile a little more!"

Them: sigh.....

ME: "One more time! Smile, everyone!" (click)

Me: "Well, we are getting there. Honey (Duglin)- I still think you have a better smile in there. Can you show it to the camera next time?"

Duglin: "I guess."

Perri: "How is my smile, Mommy? Is it a princess type smile or should I show more teeth?"

Me: "Whatever you were doing before looks fine, sweetie. OK. Now let's try this again. SMILE!!!!!" (click)



Me: "Umm, Duglin. That maybe too much of a smile, honey."

Duglin: "But you SAID to smile bigger. I smiled bigger."

Me: "Yes, you did, but it looks, well, like you are in pain, not smiling. Let's try this ONE MORE TIME! Everybody set? SMIIIIIILE!!"


Me: "Duglin."

Duglin: "Yes, Mommy."

Me: "You look like you are are gritting your teeth, not smiling."

Duglin: "Mommy, I'm trying really hard!"

Me: "I know you are, but I think that might be the problem. Just.....smile. Ahhh! I have an idea. Think of how you might look if Santa Claus were here and how happy you would be! OK?"

Duglin: "OK."

Me: "OK! ONE MORE TIME!!! Everybody say, "Look! There's Santa!"

Everyone: "Look! There's Santa!!!!"


Me: "Wow. Umm (trying not to die laughing). That's an interesting face there, Duglin. OK. I can see this is not working. Let's do this one more time." So I devise a plan to say something funny right before the camera shoots. "Everyone ready?"

Them: "yes.....(moans, rolling eyes, whimpers)"

Me: "OK, camera's counting down. What's something that's funny?"

Daylor: "You mean like Daddy tooting?" (click)



So can you tell by the flare of my nostrils I knew it was over? As the famously, overly used cliche saying goes:
"If you can't beat 'em....."




OK - So, we did finally get a decent one. So what if Duglin looks a little constipated? Life imitating art...or is it art imitating life? Hmmmmm, I need to think about that one!

Merry Christmas!!
Love,
The Balentines
2009

4 comments:

Amy said...

ha ha!! LOVE IT!!!

Such beautiful and fun fun family pics!

Merry Christmas to you, my friend!

A

breanne said...

Chuckle, chuckle!!! That's hilarious. What a ham. We loved your Christmas card and Tristan double loved it...along with the letter.

Diane said...

Okay..so this absolutely made me howl with laughter..which I am in need of this morning as I am flittering around thinking through all I need to do in the next two days and trying to get my house ready to accomodate 100+ children (well maybe not that many) from our life group. The grown-ups will be at another house in our neighborhood. I wonder if my house will still be standing.
I'm on my third cup of coffee and have been up since 5:00 am. David just got up and I'm giving him directions a mile a minute. He just told me "I see your mouth moving, but don't understand a word you are saying." Maybe I should back off on the coffee!!
My main reason for visiting your blog this morning was to leave a comment and tell you how much we enjoyed your Christmas letter!! You get the PRIZE!!!

Jennie said...

Very cute!! Really loved the Christmas letter as well! Have a wonderful 2010!